Thursday, November 15, 2012

Hello! Iron Girl here!

I haven't posted in awhile. In my Bible class, we are studying authority. Honestly, it surprised me. I'd like to write about it today.

First off, many people say I'm not a 'normal' teenager. [gasp] In more ways then one. I don't have a phone. I don't wear make-up. I still hug my parents in public. And I usually wear covering clothes throughout the year. Plus I'm a little odd..but that's for another day....

Keep this in mind as you read.

The first thing that surprised me in this study was this: 'Ultimate freedom is found under God's authority.'
Um, excuse me? That makes no sense. Face it, authority and freedom aren't exactly best buds.

Think back to the story of Adam and Eve. What rules did God have in the garden? He had one. Adam and Eve could do anything except eat from one tree in the garden. But when Adam and Eve broke that one rule, it opened the door for sin to enter the world. Believe it or not, God doesn't like rules, he had only one in the garden.

Let me give you an example from my book. [not exact words]

Bobby's parents had simple rules. None too overbearing or dogmatic. One was that Bobby was not allowed to drink, be with friends who were drinking or even in a place where drinking was taking place. Bobby loved his parents and understood this rule. But then he got to thinking, none of his other friends parents had such a rule. Why should he follow it? So one night, he and his friends went to a party and had a few drinks. Bobby didn't have too many but his friends did. On the road, his friend was driving. They swerved to miss a car. They hit a van. The accident was horrific. The mother and the three children in the van were killed instantly. Also, Bobby's friend, the driver, was killed.

Now what are his consequences?

  • He has lost a friend
  • He has had a part in the death of a woman and three kids
  • He has seen families devastated for years to comes
  • He has broken the law by drinking while under the legal age
  • He will probably spend some time incarcerated
  • He may lose his driving privileges 
  • He will lose the trust of his parents
  • He will lose the trust of his peers
  • He will probably lose friends
Sound like freedom to you?

I guess this surprised me, how much freedom you can have under authority.

Another thing, when I rebel against my authority, I am rebelling against God. Everyone in Authority has been placed there by God for a reason.

Parents
Teachers
Coaches
The Government
The President...

Romans 13: 1-2
 Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.

Thanks for reading! 

-Iron Girl 4 God

To Peace!  

No comments:

Post a Comment